July 26, 2017

The U.S. Grains Council in Action

Share:
It’s been quite the busy summer here at the Council.

In my first update, I spoke of just getting started and giving an overview of what was to come. Now, we are right in the thick of it. My main project for my internship with the U.S. Grains Council was to plan and execute Japanese Ethanol Media Team programming through our great state of Nebraska. Our mission was to share the recent strides of efficiencies and production of ethanol to our guest from Japan, who are journalists for the Japanese public. Currently, American ethanol is not being exported to Japan. But with our work at the U.S. Grains Council, numerous agriculture groups, we may see that change. Informing the media of Japan of our great product will help consumer perception overseas moving forward as well.

With weeks of planning stops, agendas, itineraries, logistics, and oh so much paperwork, the trip was set. I was fortunate enough to be the guide for the team, as we visited numerous farm industries across the eastern side of Nebraska for the week. We saw the entire process of ethanol production. From the family farms that grow the corn, to plants that produce the ethanol, to the feedlot that feeds Distillers Grains from the byproduct of making ethanol. Our guests saw how much ethanol production is intertwined in our rural Nebraska community and economy, and the numerous benefits of corn ethanol production. With true confidence, I think they will have good things to say about ethanol (and I may be biased, and our superior state of Nebraska) when they return back home. This experience made the internship a full circle of learning, doing, and executing. I am thankful for the opportunity.

The fun didn’t stop there! This last week, Corn Congress was in town. Seeing the Nebraska Delegation, Leadership Team, and many more familiar faces from Nebraska and across the country was a cherry on top for this experience. We must realize in our college years that acquiring new networks and connections is great, but revisiting and deepening connections already made are just as genuine, and in some cases, more rewarding. I also appreciate there are things called “Corn Congress” and events such as “Cornfest” in D.C. Some of the local residents I have got know chuckle and think I’m kidding when I say those words, but myself and other Nebraska Residents don’t even bat and eye.

The D.C. life has been still breathtaking. Getting to know this historic city has been a blessing. Every weekend, there is always another museum to explore or an adventure that needs to be taken. I road tripped to Monticello during the 4th of July weekend and saw where Thomas Jefferson lived and studied many new agricultural practices. Which I would have never known where it was or learned the history of one of my favorite presidents without being in D.C.

I’m nearing the end of my internship with the U.S. Grains Council, and the reality of returning to Nebraska and collegiate responsibilities is coming fast. I look forward to maintaining present here in D.C. and taking in all relationships and experiences I have left in this city. So far, it’s exceeded my expectations, and I look forward to continuing to contribute on the global programs team. Arigato! (Thank you in Japanese)

David Schuler
Global Programs Intern
U.S. Grains Council
dschuler@grains.org
(202) 789-0789 Ext. 711






No comments:

Post a Comment